Monday, February 22, 2010

Mahadeva

:-p

I spent the entire evening and night of Sunday reading and referencing the mythology of Lord Shiva. The ancient mention of Rudra in Rig Veda is now accepted as being the same as Lord Shiva, yet researchers disagree on the same.

Mythos and legends are so unique and interesting. And when they last for over 3000 years, it becomes timeless and awe-inspiring. What mysteries the cosmos beholds, what was known and is revealed, what do we understand about today's rituals and what are the truths that remain to be discovered by mortal man?

From Photo-a-day-2010


Something for a lifelong meditation. For now, this is a sketch I made of Lord Shiva and photographed it and then changed the sketch with very basic Photoshop skills. Not looking the way I envisioned in my imagination. But well, still when I see it, I behold the vision I saw and sought. It aims to look like a stone age artwork. But I think even the ancient seals discovered in Indus Valley have better drawing skills than me. LOL.

“Where is the gracious hand of thine, O Rudra, thy hand that giveth life and bringeth solace, remover of the woe that Gods have given us? O Strong One, look thou upon me with thy eternal compassion.”
- Rig Veda, Book 2, Hymn 33, verse 7 (Dated to roughly between 1700–1100 BC)



Wiki on Shiva

Wiki on KaliYuga

Sacred Texts with translations by Westerners

A brief overview on Lord Shiva

Om Namah Shivaya

Interestingly, in the Sanskrit text in the Rig Veda, the term śiva is used to refer to Indra.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment