Sunday, February 21, 2010

Back to Books

:-p

Strand Book Sale and the crowd on a hot Saturday afternoon at the huge hall where they were on sale. Had mentioned on 19 Jan 2010 post. So went there on Saturday finally.

From Photo-a-day-2010


Strand Bookstores is a landmark in Bombay and probably the oldest bookstore that I know of, servicing readers for generation and more. The late founder T. N. Shanbhag was awarded National honour with the title of "Padmashri" for his "services to the reader". I had met him only once as he stood at his store long back when I was searching for a book - he approached me and greeted me and asked me how he could help me.

http://www.strandbookstall.com/

From Photo-a-day-2010


These are just at the one hall. The other hall was booked exclusively for their collection of children's books.

From Photo-a-day-2010


I spent, without realizing, a total of 3 and a half hours at the one hall alone. Legs and neck were too tired after standing and looking down at the bargains for so long, so didn't have a look at the children's section (well, for comics and other goodies). Had gone there with a friend from my first employer. Nice to catch up with "friends" who were more than just colleagues.

:-p

1 comment:

  1. Ujj...I love browsing in bookshops...these photos remind me of a day spent in Haye-on-Wye bookshop(s) with my dad back in the 80s!

    ReplyDelete